POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Aug 2009 15:45:26
Message: <4a92edd6$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> No, but if someone who is capable has declared themselves to be part of
> a volunteer team whose function is to do that task, they should be
> reasonably expected to perform that task when called upon if they're 'on
> duty'.

OK.

>> Am I beginning to sound like I play too much Bioshock? ;-)
>
> Eh...haven't played Bioshock, so I'm missing the reference.  I assume
> something in-game's related?

One main character is stereotypical Ayn Rand objectionist type. He's
constantly getting on the PA saying things like "Is a farmer not entitled to
the sweat of his brow?"

> The obligation is there because that's what they've volunteered to do,
> to bear that responsibility.

They only volunteered to put out the fires of people who donated. Indeed,
everybody knew that, or nobody else would have donated. You even got a
sticker to put on your window to show it. :-)

> Yes, but the one doesn't make the other correct or nobler.  And a
> firefighter's function is to preserve what life and property they can by
> extinguishing fires.  Deciding someone is unworthy of help is something
> you do after the fact.

Not in this case. :-)

> Kind of the way hospitals are obligated to save
> a patient's life whether they can pay or not if they come into the ER.

I'm pretty sure that's part of the law.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe