POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 24 Aug 2009 14:07:45
Message: <4a92d6f1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   Because "we will only put out fires for those who pay us" is extortion,
>
> They're volunteers.  How is it any more extortion than "I will only
> program computers for people who pay me"?

Because programming computers is a non-vital operation.  Not putting out
a fire when you have the capability to do so is deliberately allowing a
significant portion of a person's life to be destroyed.

>>   Also, people often die in fires. If someone dies in a fire they refused
>> to put out because they got no money from them, they let someone die on
>> purpose even though they could help.
>
> Yes. I don't think they went that far, altho I do remember hearing a
> story of them showing up at some rich cheap-bastard's house just to
> watch it burn.
> The donation request was something like $10/year or so, so it wasn't
> like a lot of money. But if you were too cheap even for that...

It shouldn't matter.  A group of firefighters going to someone's house
just to watch it burn down and not help is about as far down the pole of
being a decent human being as you can get.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net