POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Greg Egan does it again : Re: Greg Egan does it again Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greg Egan does it again
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 24 Aug 2009 11:49:14
Message: <4a92b67a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Book: "Dark Integers"
> Story: "Luminous"
>
> (The story "Dark Integers" is actually a sequel)
>
> Premise: In reality, mathematical truths are undecided until embodied in
> a physical system, until a physical system's state is different
> depending on the truth of the system. Fermat's Last Theorem was neither
> true nor false until someone actually proved it, thereby modifying the
> state of their brain based on the result. Premise: Mathematical truth is
> restricted to the speed of light, and hence different parts of the
> universe might have different mathematical proofs that are true.
> Conclusion: Current theories about integers might or might not be
> consistent, and mathematical statements might or might not be true
> depending on the order in which you try to prove things.  Invent the
> discovery of such a state in the real world, and discuss possible
> ramifications. :-)
>
> A delightful short story, if only for the premise.

A similar SF premise but I can't remember whose it was or the story -
perhaps Asimov ?

That the physical properties of the universe are set by God (or a god ?)
but only when some pesky scientist bothers to go looking at them.  The
first time a property is measured there is a large margin of error which
allows time for the deity to determine what the more precise value
should be.

Like Pi - Well its about 3.  You know, give or take about 20%  That
should keep them busy while I work out the real value.

Then I think it went on that by measuring how quickly the precision of a
measurement could be improved by successive measurements and assuming
that this all works at the speed of light, you could calculate the
distance to heaven.  Do this from different locations and you could
triangulate.