POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:02:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Aug 2009 05:22:31
Message: <4a925bd7$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> It looked like the problem was that the voidp was being free()ed in the
> event handler, and the data they wanted to pass into the event handler
> was something that couldn't/shouldn't be sent to free(). Maybe copying
> that data out to a malloc block would have taken too much time, since it
> was for controller inputs.

The way I read it, they had a structure with two integers and a void
pointer. "But we couldn't just add an extra integer field, because we'd
have to change a few thousand other functions." I'm not seeing why
changing a structure to have a new field which is only used in certain
places is a problem.

Then again, we're talking about a large, complex codebase. Maybe there's
something relevant they forgot to mention or something...