POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Micronormals + Media Speedup : Micronormals + Media Speedup Server Time
7 Jul 2024 05:42:42 EDT (-0400)
  Micronormals + Media Speedup
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 02:49:13
Message: <4a9237e9@news.povray.org>
Man, I need to do some "blog-posting" on this one right now...

See the attached scene? That's micronormals-based blurred reflections
(with a lousy 10 averaged textures) combined with scattering media.
That's a good recipe for /ugly/ render times: It took beta.34 a bit over
50 minutes worth of CPU time on my Linux machine (not to speak of 3.6,
which took over 60 minutes wall clock time).

I just managed to cut that down to less than 25 minutes of CPU time with
a patch.

Boy, I love it when render times crumble...!

Other scenes combining averaged or pattern-mapped textures with media
will likely benefit, too (though possibly not to such an extreme).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'micronormals.pov.png' (408 KB)

Preview of image 'micronormals.pov.png'
micronormals.pov.png