POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? : Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS* Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS*
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Aug 2009 21:38:20
Message: <4a91ef0c$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 08/23/09 18:04, Darren New wrote:
>>> Up to that point, it wasn't clear that the humans were simply being
>>> nasty
>>
>> Yes, because burning the eggs and describing the sounds as "popcorn"
>> wasn't a give-away. :-)
>
>     I guess we're using different meanings for nasty.
>
>     If your house is full of mosquitoes that bite you, and you take
> pleasure in destroying them, are you a nasty person?

Granted. But I don't think there was any support in the movie for the aliens
actually being a threat like that.  I felt the author/director/whatever was
clearly trying to show the humans having zero care for what the aliens might
want or think.  I mean, murdering babies is clearly *intended* to show the
humans aren't especially nice.

I loved the later scenes, with the main guy threatening to take
"Christopher's" kid away if he doesn't agree to the relocation. That just
felt so ... bureaucratic.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe