POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I have a great idea! : Re: I have a great idea! Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I have a great idea!
From: clipka
Date: 23 Aug 2009 04:13:59
Message: <4a90fa47$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers schrieb:
> Actually not bad, for having a single primitive type and an extremely
> simplified test scene :)
>
> BTW, one thing I've always disliked about many GI renderers is the need
> to perform multiple passes to get rid of the speckles.  POV's method of
> a single, high quality pass is, I believe, much to be preferred.

For real-time rendering the multi-pass approach is much better suited
though: Just re-starting the render whenever the user pans or dollys
around gives you a simple and low-latency way of trading speed vs. quality.

I don't think it matters much /how/ a good-quality render is achieved,
provided that it is achieved in due time. I'd actually prefer a coarse
speckled preview over being able to quickly see the top-left corner in
full quality :-), and the only reason why I prefer POV-Ray over MCPov is
that I think POV-Ray in most cases gives almost the same quality in much
shorter time (due to the caching of data), and that I find MCPov hard to
set up (due to the inevitable hassle with portals because it doesn't
support POV-Ray's classic lighting model).

And strictly speaking, POV-Ray can't do GI in a single pass either: It
needs radiosity pretrace to achieve any reasonable quality.