POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:02:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: clipka
Date: 22 Aug 2009 18:23:27
Message: <4a906fdf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> Maybe because they actually /do/ render identically, provided you
>> specify "#version 3.6" to enforce backward compatibility?
>
>   That didn't really answer my question.

Of course it didn't - if the question is based on false observations and
therefore moot, what point would there be in answering it?

That is, unless you are asking why the behavior is different when a
#version statement is /not/ present. But in that case, there's no reason
to favor compatibility over correctness: 3.6 default gamma handling was
simply wrong (because it wasn't any gamma handling at all, thereby
producing linear output where other software commonly expects
gamma-precorrected files).