POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Warp
Date: 22 Aug 2009 04:00:17
Message: <4a8fa591@news.povray.org>
> somebody schrieb:
> > http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09/airline-seatbelt-engine-straps/

> I cannot imagine this to be genuine: At the speed at which aircraft
> engines operate, these straps would either /be/ torn to pieces, or /do/
> tear the blades to shreds.

> The blades don't look that good either, so I'd expect the engine to just
> disintegrte impressively anyway next time it is operated at full throttle.

  Genuine and genuine. It depends on your definition of "genuine".

  It *is* a genuine photograph in the sense that it's an unmanipulated
photo of an actual situation (ie. not staged for this photo in question).

  What is "not genuine" is just the false impression it gives. In other
words the real reason for the straps to be there may not be immediately
obvious to the viewer, thus the viewer gets confused and the wrong
impression, making this *perception* "not genuine".

  The real explanation for the straps is quite simple: They keep the blades
in place for transport of the engine, so that they don't rotate freely
during transport. The engine in this photo has probably just been readied
to be transported to maintenance or scrapping.

--
                                                          - Warp