POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: clipka
Date: 22 Aug 2009 01:29:05
Message: <4a8f8221$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:
>>> I especially like the claims of "every time we added debug code, the
>>> bug went away". Surely it is impossible to work under such conditions...
>>
>> Well, I tell you that's pure reality.
>
>> Yeah, it's kind of fun developing software for devices where
>> occasionally the only way to get any helpful debug information out of
>> the thing is by switching an LED on or off, and errors might just as
>> well be hardware-related.
>
> Wouldn't this make it scientifically impossible to deliver a working
> product?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If you're saying, "wouldn't this make it impossible to prove that the
product is working properly", then yes: Such a proof is impossible for
virtually /every/ real-life product. Welcome to real-world software (and
hardware) development.

If you're saying, "if you can't get any debug information out of the
device except for an LED, how can the product be of use anyway?", then
you're missing the fact that there might be other interfaces to the
outside world, which just happen to be unavailable for debugging
information (e.g. they're not initialized yet when the error occurs, or
the interface protocol provides no means to introduce any "side channel").