POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Iridescense Bug : Re: Iridescense Bug Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:01:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iridescense Bug
From: Alain
Date: 21 Aug 2009 20:27:48
Message: <4a8f3b84$1@news.povray.org>

> Thomas de Groot <tDOTdegroot@interdotnlanotherdotnet> wrote:
>> "clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> schreef in bericht
>>> To make a long story short: Iridescence is badly broken (and has always
>>> been, by the way). I suggest to give it a major overhaul - even at the
>>> cost of breaking compatibility with 3.6.
>
>> That last should not be a problem imo.
>
>   Especially since iridescence seems to be one of the features seldom used
> by anybody, for some reason.

Sample showing the problem when you use irid with turbulence.

With no turbulence, the two halves of the top part are identical.

They react to the positions of the two light_source.
With any amount of turbulence, the left part becomes extremely different.

It NO LONGER react to the direction of the incoming light. The perturbed
pattern continue from area lighted by the two lights to areas
illuminated by only one with only a difference in brightness. You cam
move the lights any way you want, the perturbed irid pattern won't change.

Very small turbulence values result in a totaly washed out effect with
no iridescence at all. Try "turbulence 0.01" or less.

union{
	union{
		box{<0,100,0><100,0,1>}
		sphere{<3,3,0>2}
		finish{irid{ 0.5 thickness 0.1}}}
	union{
		box{<0,100,0><-100,0,1>}
		sphere{<-3,3,0>2}
		finish{irid{ 0.5 thickness 0.1 	turbulence clock}}}
	union{
		box{<-100,0,0><100,-100,1>}
		sphere{<0,-3,0>2}
		}
	pigment{rgb 0.25}
	}

camera{location -15*z look_at 0 direction z up y right x}

light_source{<0,60,-50> rgb 0.4
//rotate 360*z*clock
}
light_source{<60,0,-50> rgb 0.4 spotlight point_at 0 radius 0 falloff 5
//rotate 360*z*clock
}