POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 21 Aug 2009 13:38:39
Message: <4a8edb9f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> (Notice that guy who said he couldn't just add a new integer field to
>> a data structure because it would break a few thousand other
>> functions? Does that sound like good abstraction you to?)
>
> I think that was a few thousand callback functions. I.e., when an event
> happened, it called you with "process_your_event(int1, int2, voidp)" and
> you'd have to recode all those headers.
>
> (Honestly, I think that would be rather easy, myself.)

It looked like the problem was that the voidp was being free()ed in the
event handler, and the data they wanted to pass into the event handler
was something that couldn't/shouldn't be sent to free(). Maybe copying
that data out to a malloc block would have taken too much time, since it
was for controller inputs.