POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Aug 2009 11:26:02
Message: <4a8ebc8a@news.povray.org>
>> (Notice that guy who said he couldn't just add a new integer field to a
>> data structure because it would break a few thousand other functions?
>> Does that sound like good abstraction you to?)
>
>   That kind of code is crap.
>
>   I have been programming for well over a decade on an "unsafe" language,
> and I have never wrote a program which would break if you add something
> to a class or struct.

That one did kind of strike me as "this can't be good".

Still, C is a language where, if you so desire, you can make your code
depend on the exact size of a struct, the endianness of machine words,
and all kinds of other things to make your code extra fragile. I suppose
some people would consider this a "feature"...

>   I have to admit, though, that not all programs I have ever written would
> fully support 64-bit architectures. By this I don't mean they would not
> compile as a 64-bit executable or that they would crash when compiled as
> such and run. I mean that they would not necessarily fully utilize the
> increased address space.

Not taking advantage of new features is to be expected; breaking because
of them even if you aren't using them seems to be like poor design.
Still, heaps and heaps of C programs seemed to not like being recompiled
that way...