POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Two questions about texture bitmaps : Re: Two questions about texture bitmaps Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:59:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two questions about texture bitmaps
From: Chris B
Date: 20 Aug 2009 15:17:40
Message: <4a8da154@news.povray.org>
"Timwi" <tim### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message news:4a8d95e6$1@news.povray.org...
> Timwi wrote:
>>
>> Question #1:
>> How do I use a simple bitmap file as a simple texture on a simple box?
>> Sounds simple, doesn't it?
>>
>> Question #2:
>> Why is there absolutely nothing about this in any documentation, anything
>> Google can find, no working examples, nothing?
>
> Shortly after asking this, I discovered image_map. Please consider
> improving the documentation for it so that it can be found. Currently it
> makes no prominent mention of "bitmap" or "texture". Google searches for
> anything containing these terms does not find it.

Strange. I did a google for "povray bitmap texture" and the first site
returned was the POV_Ray Textures documentation which includes the syntax
for using bitmap based textures. That texture page also contains a link to
the "image map" amd "image pattern" pages in the documentation which
describe the use of images within pigment definitions. I would suggest that
the image_map page at http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/337/
probably describes the way that you wish to use image maps in POV-Ray.

If you wish to wrap your image around a simple box, then the section on
uv_mapping at http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/358/  describes
how that works. If you just want it to map to the front face (and run
through it like a stick of rock) then that's the default that Clipka has
described.

There are really quite a lot of ways of using image files in POV-Ray and
quite a lot of the documentation and various tutorials are dedicated to
them.

Regards,
Chris B.