POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For a price : Re: For a price Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For a price
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 19 Aug 2009 15:32:27
Message: <4a8c534b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> Elaborate? $8 micro-controllers are absurdly powerful now, and very easy
>> to program. Granted, most of the time it is assembly or some odd looking
>> java-esque language,
>
> Many of them even have BASIC interpreters on chip, don't they? Or FORTH?
> Weird stuff like that?

I know that some of the PIC boards come with BASIC software, google says
that they also have support for FORTH. From what little time I have used
PIC BASIC, it isn't something I would recommend. In the version I had,
you could only read or set one I/O pin per instruction, even digital
pins, instead of reading and setting 8 pin banks. For what I was doing,
and for a 25 pedal controller, that seems just a bit slow. For FORTH, I
don't have any more info than what google just showed me, that there
isn't a GCC port for PICs, and that most of the compilers are
proprietary. Don't have a clue how many are free and proprietary.