POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ahhh, memories.... : Ahhh, memories.... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Ahhh, memories....
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 19 Aug 2009 12:27:24
Message: <4a8c27ec@news.povray.org>
From
ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Old-Versions/Official-3.0/news.3.01.txt

> There are other changes planed for 3.1 that we are sure you will
> appreciate and they will not hurt backward compatibility.  We are not
> yet ready say what new features will be added for 3.1 but we will try
> to keep the list short for this minor upgrade.  In parallel with 3.1
> work we are going to start development on 4.0 which will probably involve
> a total revision of the code from C to C++.  Don't look for that release
> until 1998 or later.

Ahh, remember 3.0, back in the days of Halo and Atmosphere. Back when
POVRay still had a DOS release. Those were such optimistic times!

It seems like 3.7 has been in beta for years, but I read this paragraph
and chuckled a bit.

"Don't look for that release until 1998 or later."

LOL, it's been more than 10 years, and POV-Ray 4.0 is no where near even
existing!

Not slamming the team at all ;) But I found this amusing ...
--
~Mike