POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Aug 2009 11:46:52
Message: <4a8c1e6c$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> But it's often the case that young healthy people will buy (say) only
>> catastrophic health insurance (covering costs >$5000 perhaps),
>
> That makes sense, I've not seen anything like that in Europe,

I'm not surprised. :-)

> OOC what do pregnant women do?  Surely they must rack up a fair amount
> of cost with all the visits to the doctor and hospital?  Do they pay for
> this themselves?

I've never been pregnant.  Some things are covered, some things aren't.

> Ah I see, surely having emergency rooms at hospitals is a fairly
> fundamental thing for a developed country to have, shouldn't the
> government be at least partly funding the operation of these to make
> sure everyone has one within a certain time/distance?  Non-urgent
> operations and other minor stuff are a different matter.

One would think, yes. In this case, insurance and health care are unrelated,
so it's not getting discussed.

> Oh ok, so if it's being paid by your employer you can't ever change
> jobs...hmmmm.

Basically, yes. Sucks. I think part of that is being worked on. Since I knew
people in that situation, I think laws were passed saying that if you were
previously covered for it within X months ago, it can't be considered a
pre-existing condition. One even gets paperwork now when leaving a job
saying one was covered up until a particular date.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."