POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For a price : Re: For a price Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For a price
From: Chambers
Date: 18 Aug 2009 21:51:06
Message: <4a8b5a8a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>
>> How hard would it be to get a couple of pressure sensors, and wire
>> them up to a MIDI plug so you could have your own?
>
> Harder than you'd think.
>
> A peddleboard needs to not break when an 80 Kg person stamps on it. This
> is non-trivial.

Not necessarily.  If, as you stated, all you need to do is close a
circuit... well, you can do that quite easily.

> Where the hell do you buy pressure sensors?

Take apart any electronic scale, if you must.  Other than that, I'm sure
Radioshack has them (though I don't know about the tolerances of their
models).

> You realise that MIDI is a serial communications protocol, right? It's
> not like you just connect each sensor to a different pin on the plug;
> you need some fairly elaborate electronics in there.

Good point; maybe just wire it up to a parallel port, then, and generate
the MIDI signal via software.

Or, put something together with that breadboard you've been playing with ;)

>> Then you could go to the pub and tell some random girl, "Hey, baby,
>> you ever dated a guy who wired his own base?" :)
>
> *facepalm*

What, girls like a guy who can get things done! :)

...Chambers