POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? : Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS* Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS*
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 18 Aug 2009 16:20:01
Message: <4a8b0cf1$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> I think the prawn part just skipped by me, because it seemed to be more
> of a pejorative name than all the descriptive. Maybe I am just haven't
> eaten enough prawns.
>
>>     Put another way, it isn't the *only* thing one could assume. One
>> could as justifiably have assumed a totally different behavior, based on
>> other cues in the movie.
>>

> I didn't say it was well implied. There was one other comment, I think
> one of the 'experts' called them workers. It was very vague and I don't
> think I can defend it for that.

For what it's worth I got exactly the same worker class interpretation
that you did from the movie, but it retrospect it did seem to be more
implied than made explicit.  I actually sort of like this aspect to the
movie though since I think a too many explanations would have detracted
from the realism (since there's not much of a way that the humans in the
movie could have known about the alien class/species structure anyway).

Overall, this was my favorite SciFi movie since Children of Men came out
a few years ago, although I did also enjoy Moon.  I'll be curious to see
how well it ages since opinions seem pretty split on it currently.