POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2009 11:31:41
Message: <4a8ac95d$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>
>> 2 - Your health is worth virtually anything you own.
>
> Not by a long shot. If that were the case, we would not smoke, eat more than
> necessary or unhealthy,

You're assuming rationality. When you get an immediate life-threatening
condition, you're not likely to make a decision that dying is *better* than
paying for the medicine.

Of course, if you have kids, you might decide to trade some months or years
of life to leave them an inheritance or something. Everyone dies eventually.
  When that's no longer the case, it's unlikely you'd spend less than all
your money to avoid dying.

>> How much of your personal wealth would you spend to cure your cancer?
>
> If cure were certain? For as it is, I don't see many patients spending their
> entire wealth on treatment (not that I believe certain cure would change
> that either).

The point I was making was contrasting your health against (say) the size of
your apartment, the taste of your food, etc. You might say "I really like
steak, but it's too expensive to buy often."  You're unlikely to say "I
really like living, but it's just not worth the expense of buying my heart
medicine." The competition is between different heart medicines, not between
heart medicine and no heart medicine.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."