POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For a price : Re: For a price Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For a price
From: scott
Date: 18 Aug 2009 06:48:42
Message: <4a8a870a$1@news.povray.org>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd551276(VS.85).aspx
>
> "Warning: This technology is deprecated as is all of DirectMusic."
>
> Gee, thanks for telling us what the recommended alternative is. :-P

Hehe yes true, it doesn't look like they do suggest an alternative for
communicating with MIDI hardware!

> I wonder though... I've always thought of writing "fancy" Windows programs
> as intractable, since it requires calling the Win32 API, and very few
> useful programming languages can do this. However, I did successfully
> write a Haskell library that talks to the Windows console functions, and
> it worked fine. I wonder if it's really possible to write a Haskell
> library that does something nontrivial like sending and receiving MIDI
> messages?

It should be no problem if you can call Windows API functions, the ones for
MIDI control are all still there.

>> An M4 or M6 standard steel bolt will do, you're not going to be levering
>> up cars with this thing!
>
> I'm guessing you can't buy that stuff at the local hardware store though.

Of course you can and they're dead cheap, B&Q will have a good supply of M4
and M6 bolts (plus many other diameters) at all sorts of lengths and head
types.  They do nuts and washers too.

> I suspect cutting it to a precise shape isn't going to be easy though.

If you're making a load of pedals then I would be tempted to first make a
jig so that you can cut each one to exactly the same dimensions.  You can
finish them off with some sand paper or an electric sander (more expensive
but faster).