POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For a price : Re: For a price Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For a price
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2009 05:37:49
Message: <4a8a766d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I guess that's a possibility, assuming I can find one that isn't
>> touch-sensitive.
>
> Oh ok I didn't realise the pedals didn't need to be touch sensitive,
> even simpler then!

I'm trying to simulate a pipe organ here. They're generally not
particularly touch sensitive. ;-)

[Although... the mechanical-action ones *are* very slightly touch
sensitive, which not a lot of people know.]

>> Assuming you find one that isn't touch-sensitive, so pressing a key
>> just closes a circuit, it should be possible to rig something up.
>
> Alternatively use another input method to a PC (you can get multiple
> digital input to USB boards) and then generate the MIDI signals in
> software.

I'm guessing generating MIDI signals in software is going to be intractable.

>> The next problem is going to be how to make it sturdy enough to not
>> fall apart. ;-)
>
> The pedals are not going to be taking massive forces so you don't need
> to worry about using bearings or anything fancy like that.  I would just
> put a hole through the pedal at the back and let it rotate on a bolt
> that is secured to some base-plate.  That way you can place each pedal
> at a different angle.  To provide the resistance just glue on a lump of
> stiff rubber underneath each pedal and mount a micro-switch to trigger
> at the correct position.  Shouldn't take too much work.

For one thing, it's going to take some big chunks of solid wood, and a
big iron bolt. Given how ludicrously expensive actual wood is, I guess
it might not even come out any cheaper than just buying the one in the
shop...