POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion: OpenCL : Re: Suggestion: OpenCL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: OpenCL
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Aug 2009 22:10:40
Message: <4a8a0da0$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I was thinking more along the lines of each surface possibly having a
>> different code path for computing illumination. Rays in the same
>> bundle can't take different code paths.
>
> Sure they can, you just have an "if" in the shader code based on some
> flag in the ray data.

Problem: when you come to a branch, all units in that block have to take
the same branch.

Thus, branching is discouraged.

>> Indeed, that's where I read about the render queue approach. (No, I
>> don't remember where *exactly*.)
>
> Damn.  If you think up *anything* you think is new, you can be
> guaranteed that someone else somewhere has already thought of it :-)
> The internet just makes it easy to find that person!

I know I saw a whitepaper on the render queue method back in the 90s,
but I don't remember the author.  In fact, most of the work done on
computers with graphics was theorized back in the 70s and 80s, but is
only in the last 5 or 10 years being widely implemented due to
sufficient hardware support now being available.

...Chambers