POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? : Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS* Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? *SPOILERS*
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Aug 2009 16:09:04
Message: <4a89b8e0@news.povray.org>
On 08/17/09 08:43, Chambers wrote:
> That's funny, because my reaction was so different :) As an action
> movie, it was only OK. As a movie in general, it was great. As a sci-fi
> movie, it was pretty good.

	Well, I'm comparing it not to other sci-fi movies, but to sci-fi
fiction in general (mostly novels).

	I couldn't sympathize with the aliens until they showed Christopher's
character in detail. Up to that point, it wasn't clear that the humans
were simply being nasty - it may well have been that the aliens psyche
was dangerous to humans, and they needed to be cordoned off.

	After all, giving human rights to aliens is a bit silly to assume,
don't you think?

	But then they showed that the aliens were more or less like humans,
except for the appearance. From a sci-fi perspective, that's not all
that great. They should have put in some fairly explicit character
traits of the aliens (not necessarily negative ones) to differentiate
their behavior from humans.

> Because the aliens that were found on the ship were the worker class,
> who had been bred (and trained) to just take orders. Sure, some of them
> would fight, but most of the time you could get them to back down by
> just being confident and acting like you were in command.

	I must have missed all the indications of this. Did they point out
different classes among the aliens?

> BTW, don't you live in SA? I read about the forced eviction of District
> 6, and how the movie was supposed to be a reference to that. Any
> thoughts or comments about it?

	I don't live there, and haven't heard of District 6, but yes, it was
patterned after events in Apartheid South Africa.

--
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane