POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Aug 2009 15:51:30
Message: <4a89b4c2$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Well, "here" in the USA we have lots of religions that aren't Christian.
> If it offends them to imply that Christians are the only ones that
> celebrate the winter solstice I can certainly avoid offense in
> circumstances where I know not everyone is Christian. (If you're
> atheist, being offended by the holiday being called Christmas would seem
> to me to be rather silly, mind.)

I am sure the radicals think we are offended. Mostly, we consider it
funnier than hell. May be the wrong day, even if you argue for the
existence of the dude its based on, celebrated using pagan trees the
Bible itself says its a sin to put up each year, and dedicated, except
among the really obsessed, to a fat man in a red suit, for yet another
pagan mythology, and only, by a much tinier amount, to the ideals, but
not necessarily the person, its "supposedly" named after. And don't even
get me started on the cobbled together manger stuff, which is based some
  European nonsense, and gets both what a manger is (usually a cave, but
sometimes a two level structure), and that they where, and still are,
*commonly* used in the ME as places to stay (animals below, on the
ground keep the people up top warm).

Oh, and every year I greatly enjoy using Xmas, and setting off the
endless number of morons that don't know that X is the Roman Chi, first
letter in their gods name, and are all horrified that I am "attacking
Christmas!". lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {