POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion: OpenCL : Re: Suggestion: OpenCL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: OpenCL
From: scott
Date: 17 Aug 2009 10:07:07
Message: <4a89640b$1@news.povray.org>
> I was thinking more along the lines of each surface possibly having a
> different code path for computing illumination. Rays in the same bundle
> can't take different code paths.

Sure they can, you just have an "if" in the shader code based on some flag
in the ray data.

> Depends on whether you're thinking of running the whole computation on the
> GPU, or just the ray intersection tests, or what.

Some things I think the CPU still needs to do, like preparing the ray data
to put on the GPU at each step. It is quite hard to write a shader that does
anything other than return one "output value" per "pixel", ie you can't
write a shader that returns a veriable number of rays, the only thing you
can do is return a flag set that means "spawn another ray".

> I see no especial reason why you can't do arbitrary intersection tests on
> a GPU. The math isn't that complicated.

I was thinking more about how to store the scene on the GPU efficiently, if
you just have a triangle list it is relatively simple.

> The only real problem is going to be trying to run something like
> isosurfaces, which use adaptive space division; a GPU probably won't like
> that.

Nah it's no problem :-)  Modern GPUs don't have any limit on loops or number
of instructions or anything like that.

> Also depends on whether you're trying to write your code as a shaper, or
> use a real GPGPU system. (Such as the OpenCL in the title.)

I think something like a raytracer will be too complicated for a computer to
try and figure out how to put it on the GPU the best way, needs to be hand
coded by an intelligent person :-)

> Indeed, that's where I read about the render queue approach. (No, I don't
> remember where *exactly*.)

Damn.  If you think up *anything* you think is new, you can be guaranteed
that someone else somewhere has already thought of it :-)  The internet just
makes it easy to find that person!