POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? : Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone else here seen District 9 yet?
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Aug 2009 09:43:30
Message: <4a895e82$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     HERE BE SPOILERS!!!
>
>     In terms of action, pretty good. As a movie in general, fairly good.
> As a sci-fi plot, merely OK.

That's funny, because my reaction was so different :)  As an action
movie, it was only OK.  As a movie in general, it was great.  As a
sci-fi movie, it was pretty good.

YMMV :)

>     Perhaps I missed it, but why didn't the aliens use the weapons
> before handing/selling them to the Nigerians? I think there were quite a
> few mini plot holes like this - although that may have been intentional.

Because the aliens that were found on the ship were the worker class,
who had been bred (and trained) to just take orders.  Sure, some of them
would fight, but most of the time you could get them to back down by
just being confident and acting like you were in command.

It was implied that Christopher was a survivor of the ruling class.  He
certainly showed more intelligence, as well as knowledge about their
technology (not to mention a real concern for their condition).

BTW, don't you live in SA?  I read about the forced eviction of District
6, and how the movie was supposed to be a reference to that.  Any
thoughts or comments about it?

...Chambers