POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2009 22:38:42
Message: <4a88c2b2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> People tend to vote with their feet, so to speak.

It's interesting to note that when the idea of income tax first started in
the USA, it was at the time that large manufacturing started. I.e., at the
time when "wealth" meant "large immobile factories".

We didn't have income tax when riding a horse for three days took you to a
different tax jurisdiction and you could carry everything you needed to set
up a business in a wagon.

>   Taxing rich people a lot is not very productive because they are so few.

That's not quite true, methinks. In the USA, something like 40% of the
income tax is paid by the top 1% of the taxpayers, with the top 0.1% of the
tax payers pay 20% of the income tax. (The top 1% also earned some 23% of
all the money, mind.)

At this point, it's hard to understand how you can earn $7 million a year
actually doing something personally productive. At that point, I think you'd
have to be playing with money. I suppose you could be a sports star or a
Bill Gates, but I don't think that handful accounts for 1% of the people
filing tax returns.

> Leveling out the tax percentage a bit raises low and medium wealth people's
> taxes only a bit,

I think in the USA at least, this wouldn't be quite true. Plus, we already
reward people for that, because businesses pay taxes differently, which is
where the whole rich-people-don't-pay-taxes comes from. Rich people get out
of paying taxes by not making any income. They simply have businesses that
*do* make income buy them a bunch of stuff.

>   I really think that "rich people getting even richer" has been negatively
> hyped way too much. Personally I don't care how rich they get, if that helps
> everybody by keeping the country's economy running.

I think there comes a point at which the rich people being *too* rich is
negative. They can unduly influence government, and they can have far more
than they could ever spend while needy people are starving.

Certainly Bill Gates being rich makes lots of jobs, and Tiger Woods makes
lots of jobs and thus gets rich. But when you start looking at (say) some of
the feudal societies, perhaps, where the Kings built castles they never saw
just because they could, while others were starving and freezing, yeah, it
can go too far.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."