POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2009 20:21:37
Message: <4a88a291$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I really think that is completely ridiculous, completely regardless of
> what one's world view is. The event called "Christmas" is a traditional
> festivity. It's called that because of tradition.

Actually, I think you'll find it was Saturnalia before Christmas, and Yule
before that. That said, I agree that calling it something other than
"Christmas Vacation" in the USA at least is kind of pointless.

On the other hand, I can see where calling a woman a "broad" or a "dame" or
some other such derogatory name could offend, so I can see where calling the
holiday "Christmas" even when speaking to Pagans could perhaps offend.

>   Why shouldn't this work in reverse? Why should anyone have the right to
> come here and start complaining about some festivity or its naming?

Well, "here" in the USA we have lots of religions that aren't Christian. If
it offends them to imply that Christians are the only ones that celebrate
the winter solstice I can certainly avoid offense in circumstances where I
know not everyone is Christian. (If you're atheist, being offended by the
holiday being called Christmas would seem to me to be rather silly, mind.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."