POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep? : Re: Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep?
From: Chris B
Date: 16 Aug 2009 12:48:33
Message: <4a883861@news.povray.org>
"CShake" <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> Thanks for the very in-depth response!
>
> What I was thinking was more along the lines of option A that you
> suggested, but I will take a look at the SweepSpline macro you pointed me
> to, since it may be the easiest way. If I could use the same spline in
> sphere_sweep as I did in the prism contour (with the addition of a
> z-coordinate and radius of course), I'd be able to define the respective
> 'z' of each sweep as the top and bottom of the previously defined prism.
>
> To illustrate the problem better, I'm trying to model the handle on a
> handbell, you can see it here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hand_bell3.jpg

Ahh! Now this moves the goal posts a little for two reasons.

Because this is a flexible fabric bell handle that folds back on itself, it
makes it very difficult to use the trace function to 'scan' the surface of
your existing prism object, so I'd say that option is out. Because the
handle incorporates an outer transparent sleeve it would make the #while
loop approach extremely inefficient, because POV_Ray would have to do one
heck of a lot of ray tests. I did a quick test using that technique and it
took over an hour on 3.6. For some reason the same scene in 3.7 caused
POV-Ray to run out of memory after a few minutes (and my machine's got quite
a bit of memory).

I think that Mike's macro is likely to offer the approach of least pain, but
I suspect you'll need to redo the spline as a cubic_spline.

Regards,
Chris B.