POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion: OpenCL : Re: Suggestion: OpenCL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: OpenCL
From: Chambers
Date: 16 Aug 2009 11:33:22
Message: <4a8826c2$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> But those tests are also quite simple, so would benefit the least from
>> the GPU.
>
> How do you figure that?

Because you need to look at the ratio of computation time to
transmission time.  The simpler something is, the lower the ratio, and
the less worthwhile offloading is (after all, it messes with the cache,
the bus, the memory system, etc).  Ideally, whatever you offload will be
computationally intensive, so the transmission time is justifiable.

> Yeah, I'm pretty sure the batch sizes vary by GPU model. But the main
> point is, you don't have to assign *all* cores to the same kernel; just
> sufficiently large bunches of them.

The key, of course, being "sufficiently large bunches."  There's a
strong likelihood that POV wouldn't be able to consistently create
batches that are sufficiently large.

...Chambers