POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Warp
Date: 16 Aug 2009 06:51:36
Message: <4a87e4b8@news.povray.org>
> I make, say, 10000 quids which I have to tax at 20%, leaving me with
> 8000 quids.

> Or I make, say, 20000 quids which I have to tax at 25%, leaving me with
> 15000 quids.

> So is there any incentive for me to make more money? Seems to me like
> there is indeed...

  But if in the neighbor country your 20000 "quids" get taxed bu 20%, you
get to keep 16000.

  But I'm not talking about such low difference. I'm talking about someone
earning eg. 100000 and getting taxed 50%, while in the neighbour country
he would be taxed eg. 20%.

> >   60% in Finland.

> Of the whole income?

  Yes. It's not "for anything exceeding x euros". It's 60% your whole income.

  There are (completely legal and endorsed by the government) ways of
earning such amounts with less taxing through other means, mostly related
to having stocks in companies or something like that, but I know of
individuals who simply have a large salary and who have to pay 60% of it
in tax (eg. the father of a good friend of mine).

  Oh, and the 60% is just your income tax. Then there are some mandatory
insurance payments and a few other mandatory payments which cause you to
actually get less than 40% of your salary.

--
                                                          - Warp