POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: clipka
Date: 15 Aug 2009 21:15:20
Message: <4a875da8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   On the other hand, how much does he contribute to the country's economy?
> Maybe he *spends* more, while paying less taxes, and thus keeps cash
> circulating and jobs running?
>
>   If this *one* person would pay a very high percentage in taxes, exactly
> how many people would benefit from that? Would the benefit be large than
> him spending the same money?

Let's see where this leads us...

Assume for starters that we have a single filthy-rich guy owning a
company and, presently, 100,000 quids, and 1,000 poor workers, who
pesently hold 100 quids each.

We also have a government that wants to do things, but it needs money to
do so. Let's say they want 50,000 quids, so they need to take it from
someone.

Let's be a bit naive.

What would the /rich/ person do with 50,000 quids?

Well, maybe he'll buy a luxury yacht, which happens to costs a freakin'
25,000 in workers' payment, as well as 25,000 in gain for companies
involved in production. (Note that material costs are actually included
in this, as you can't really turn modern money into gold, but instead
ultimately pay people to get it out of the ground.) That makes an
average 25 quids for each poor worker, and 25,000 quids for some other
filthy-rich guy who happens to own all the companies involved in the
production. Who in turn can buy some luxury goods as well, repeating the
same thing - until all the 50,000 quids are in the workers' hands (50
quids each), and the filthy-rich guys own more luxury goods. Fine: The
poor can buy something to eat.

Or, he may hire an awful lot of people to groom his hair day and night.
50,000 quids to the poor (50 quids each on average), and a happy
well-groomed filthy-rich guy. Fine, too: Again, the poor can buy
something to eat.

Or, he may decide to hire people to produce a new fancy product to make
life easier; 50,000 in production costs going to the poor (50 quids each
again), and a new product on the shelves. Fine: The poor can buy
something to eat. Or that new product (prosperity!).

Seems like it's good to leave the 50,000 quids with the rich guy, right?

Now what would the /poor/ people do with 50,000 quids (that being 50
quids each)?

A poor person might buy food. From some filthy-rich guy. Fine: The poor
guy /has/ something to eat now, and the rich guy has 50,000 quids to
re-invest.

Or a poor person might buy a fancy new good produce by the rich guy.
Fine, too: The poor guy has some luxury stuff now too (prosperity! [*]),
and the rich guy again has 50,000 quids to re-invest.

So, it's not bad to leave the 50 x 1,000 quids with the poor guys
either, right?

Now what would the /government/ do with 50,000 quids?

They might for instance hire people to educate the children and young.
Fine, too: 50,000 back to the poor people (50 quids each), to buy things
from the filthy rich. /And/ well-educated young people able to develop
more sophisticated goods (/more/ prosperity!!)

Or they might contract the filthy-rich guy's company to build roads.
Fine, too: 50,000 to filthy-rich (who in turn hires the poor people to
do the actual work). /And/ better roads to simplify producing goods
(/more/ prosperity!!)

So, maybe it's /best/ to give the 50,000 quids to the government, after
all - or am I missing something here?

The point here, so far, is that the government is /more/ interested in a
general /increase/ of prosperity than the rich person is - or the poor
one, for that matter. Both are only interested in buying a
(comparatively) luxurious life for themselves.

So, why not give /all/ money to the government?

Erm... sorry, no: The government is /not/ that much interested in buying
luxury goods for each individual as these individuals are; in other
words, while the government is probably better at deciding what
infrastructure to spend money on in order to increase the general
/ability/ to prosper, the individual people (both poor and rich) are
much better at using the money in a way that increases the individual's
/will/ to prosper.

And from whom to take the money?

Say you take it all from the poor, leaving them with only 50 quids each.
They need that much money, however, to eat and pay their rent, leaving
them with /nothing/ to invest in luxury goods to reward themselves for
improving prosperity... besides, what prosperity? They're stagnating.

Then again, say yo take it all from the rich, leaving him with only
50,000 quids. Now, does /he/ need all this money to eat and pay his rent??

So, what's the morale here:

(1) No matter from whom you take the taxes, they do flow back. Even the
rich guy (and his company, and his ability to create new jobs) benefits
from the taxes taken from him, through government contracts.

(2) Taking taxes is important, because there /are/ things that
capitalism, by itself, will /not/ automatically take care of.

(3) Taking /too/ much from the poor is fatal for an economy, as it kills
  off the capitalist incentive. If the taxes don't suffice, and the poor
are rather short on money already, I guess it's safer to put more taxes
on the rich.

(4) I agree that there is probably a level at which the capitalist
incentive is effectively killed off for the rich man, too; still, it
appears to me that level will be much higher as with poor people - not
only in absolute numbers, but in relative ones as well.

I am not an expert, and may be utterly mistaken for some reason, but
these are the conclusions I come to when thinking it through.