POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America’s opposition to national health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America’s opposition to national health care?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Aug 2009 17:02:59
Message: <4a872283@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:30:16 -0400, Jim Charter wrote:

> One fear is that with
> anything 'government-run' the government must be especially
> non-descriminatory in the hiring and manangement of its workforce.

This is not a bad thing, so long as it is *truly* non-discriminatory.
Unfortunately, most "non-discriminatory" policies are inherently
discriminatory themselves because they don't say "hire on the merits" but
get implemented as a quota system.

Having worked for a company that implemented this (years ago) and having
seen the particular storefront I worked in suffer because the minorities
who applied were completely unqualified for the positions, so positions
like "assistant manager" didn't get filled and the manager (a good friend
of mine to this day) had to make do with a staff of high school students
who couldn't work during the day....I can understand this concern.

Jim