POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glass and wood problem : Re: Glass and wood problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass and wood problem
From: clipka
Date: 15 Aug 2009 16:01:06
Message: <4a871402$1@news.povray.org>
Jaro schrieb:
> I'm new to pov-ray and I noticed strange thing about glass. It's full of grey
> 1px dots, and I do not know why and how to remove this...
> http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/994/error2l.png
> Here is scene file: http://pokazywarka.pl/pov/ , just render 3 frames. On my pc
> first looks ok, but it is without wooden table under glass, third one is grainy
> only on sides of this piece of glass.

Your glass surface is resting directly on the wooden table, at y=7.5;
what you experience here is commonly referred to as "coincident surface
problem": POV-Ray is not particularly good at dealing with surfaces of
two objects just exactly touching each other, and gets the measles (sort
of), because it just can't make up its mind which surface is "nearer" to
the observer.

Translate the glass plate by y*7.5001 instead of y*7.5, and you should
be fine.