POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tilable textures : Tilable textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Tilable textures
From: SharkD
Date: 15 Aug 2009 02:53:00
Message: <4a865b4c$1@news.povray.org>
I may have asked this before, but what are some good ways to create 2D
textures that tile? A tiling desktop background is a common (maybe not
so much these days...) example.

Secondly (and this is the more advanced part), how might I turn tiling
on and off for a particular direction? What I really want to do is
create square terrain tiles (for a game) that have 16 possible "states"
based on whether or not a tile has a neighbor.

For example, a tile with four neighbors would join nicely on all four
sides. A tile with only three neighbors would be "closed" on one side.

Here's are the 16 possible "states":

   o        o        x        x
o o o    x o o    o o o    x o o
   o        o        o        o

   o        o        x        x
o o x    x o x    o o x    x o x
   o        o        o        x

   o        o        x        x
o o o    x o o    o o o    x o o
   x        x        x        x

   o        o        x        x
o o x    x o x    o o x    x o x
   x        x        x        x

The "o" in the middle of each diagram is the tile in the center. The
rest are its neighbors.

-Mike