POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Recovery of pictures from old CD : Re: Recovery of pictures from old CD Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Recovery of pictures from old CD
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Aug 2009 02:17:53
Message: <4a865311$1@news.povray.org>
>> I had a similar problem recently when I added a new file (and thus a new
>> session) to a regular CDR. Only the new files were readable. I think it
>> is because you can't add new sessions to CDRs. You can only add them to
>> CDRWs (rewritable CDRs). Not 100% sure though.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can add new sessions to CDRs, but the common practice
> is to import the previous session first (thus preserving the access
> information in the TOC on the disc).  If one doesn't do that, then it can
> appear that data's been lost.

It is, indeed, possible to have multiple sessions on a CD-R. I've done it.

It is also usual to import the previous session. If you don't, Windows
appears not to be able to "see" the previous data. Note, however, that
AmigaOS *can*.

I've done this personally. Burn several sessions to a CD, and when you
insert it, AmigaOS prompts you for which session you want to access.
(Recall that AmigaOS tracks all disk insert/eject events.) You then see
the data in the selected session only (and any data it imports).

My Amiga was using a plain ordinary IDE CD-RW drive, so it seems to me
that a PC should be able to do the same trick, given the correct
software. It wouldn't surprise me if something like cdparanoia can grab
an arbitrary session, dump it into an ISO file, and then let you
loop-mount that to read it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/