POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 12:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: clipka
Date: 14 Aug 2009 23:12:33
Message: <4a8627a1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>>         It's a question of rates. In the US, the percentage of the overall
>> wealth owned by the top 1% keeps increasing (depending on who you ask -
>> I'm seeing some contradictory figures). That's a net flow in that
>> direction.
>
>   Is that a bad thing? I'm asking that seriously.

As long as they act responsible, I find nothing wrong.

If however /they/ exhibit greed, then I'm not surprised that the
/others/ exhibit jealousy.

>   A bit of balance between rich and poor can be achieved with progressive
> taxing (ie. tax rich people with a higher percentage than poor people),

I just heard a report on the radio of a millionaire who openly revealed
that he pays no more than about 3000 EUR a year in taxes, due to tax
loopholes.

/That's/ the sort of things that make poorer people /seriously/ jealous.

>   Is there any rational reason to punish rich people with heavy taxes,
> other than jealousy and a generic sentiment of "fairness"?

 From the social market economy point of view, this has nothing to do
with punishment, but having those who /can/ carry a lot actually /do/
carry a lot.

Doesn't always seem to work, as seen from that millionaire example.