POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion: OpenCL : Re: Suggestion: OpenCL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: OpenCL
From: clipka
Date: 14 Aug 2009 20:59:48
Message: <4a860884@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga schrieb:
> So, you assume that is just a huge amount of hype, and even if it works
> for other apps., won't for POV-Ray. I think there are more to analyze
> than just simple generalizations.

I didn't see much analyzing on your side - only enthusiasm about what
they write in the introduction. It appears to me that you don't know
much about POV-Ray's architecture or GPU architecture, and are actually
not too familiar with the OpenCL framework either.

I'm not generalizing. I did have a look at the paper, and analyzed it
(and POV-Ray's program structure) in enough detail to present hard facts
why POV-Ray and OpenCL won't mix, at least not at the time being.

 > Anyway, is a POV/TAG-Team decision, we can merely speculate.

No, we can say for sure that they will /not/ go for OpenCL anytime near.

>> I had actually and honestly hoped to discourage you with my initial
>> groaning. I guess the POV-Ray dev team is better informed about GPU
>> computing than you expect.
>
> And you know what I expect the POV/TAG-Team to know... you assume too
> much...

 From your postings, it is quite obvious that you assumed OpenCL to be
something brand new, with you being the first in all the POV-Ray
community to discover it.

FYI: OpenCL has been mentioned in the POV-Ray NGs half a year ago already.

> groaning is an emotional response and as such, irrational: I haven't
> been  reading this NG for a long time and the first line of text I read
> was your groaning, besides of the rudeness, it explains nothing, and

And that's exactly why I issued this loud groan: You /obviously/ didn't
even bother to check whether anyone ever brought up the topic of GPU
usage any time recently, or you would have noticed that it had just been
on the agenda again, in the incarnation of CUDA.

Even after you were informed that the topic had been discussed just
recently, you also obviously haven't bothered to check the thread on
that topic, to get yourself updated on the problems of using GPUs with
POV-Ray, and compare how that applies to OpenCL.

You just came stumbling in, hollering "hey, I got this great perfect
idea for POV-Ray...", as if the people developing POV-Ray would never
have heard of it otherwise. Even upon receiving a not-so-positive
reaction indicating that you /might/ be wrong, you stuck to that
attitude, hollering right away again in p.programming in the same style.
There's rudeness in that, too.