POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No country for old men : Re: No country for old men Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No country for old men
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2009 19:14:55
Message: <4a85efef$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:47:20 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   He certainly doesn't seem to be talking in the "heaviest" British
>   accent
> as he has done in the past, like here:

That happens when one spends a lot of time speaking in a non-native
accent, at least for some people.

The few times I've been to the UK, I've noticed that my volume tends to
come down (I'm not that loud to begin with), and after a week or so of
talking with Brits, I start subconsciously mimicking the accent (probably
not very well, but it's enough that natives can't tell where I'm from -
I've had a few comment on that, actually).

If you want to see something really wacky, watch interviews with Renée
Zellweger (and the other cast in Bridget Jones' Diary) around the time
that filming completed.  Reportedly the British cast members didn't know
she's from Texas because from the first time they met her, they hadn't
heard her speak in her native accent - she was always practicing her
British accent.  When she got up to accept an award (IIRC), that was the
first time they heard her speak like a Texan, and it kinda freaked them
out; they reportedly asked her why she was "doing a voice" and she
explained that she was speaking in her "real" voice, but they didn't
believe it.

Jim