POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 10:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 14 Aug 2009 17:23:22
Message: <4a85d5ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/14/09 10:37, somebody wrote:
>> And while I'm fine with the Canadian model, I do have to ask: Why did
>> you bring them into the discussion? The proposed health bill is not
>> based off of them, and there are other universal health care countries
>> that are ranked above Canada.
>
> It's an example of a poorer implementation of so called socialized medicine
> in a developed country. Yes, there are better examples, but my point is to
> emphasize that switching systems is not a guarantee of improvement.

	Ah, I get it now.

> Yes, a bum knee or hip won't kill you, nor will even going blind, but I
> wouldn't consider waiting several years for those routine surgeries
> acceptable health care. Canadian health care is great if you don't need to

	Yes, but most would ;-). I know at least one person who had to wait
about a year for the knee surgery. It was a pain for them, but they said
the after-surgery care made up for it (including not having to pay
bills, etc). They really appreciated not having to worry about anything
once the treatment is done.

	Over here, even if you get quick treatment for something like this,
it's often followed with months of arguing about the bill, etc. Doesn't
help when some hospitals keep forcing stuff onto you that you don't need
(and/or that is less than half their price if you just purchase it
yourself elsewhere).

	For hip replacement, etc - it's merely a pain. Have a more serious
condition with chronic treatment required, and many people simply give
up and give in and file for bankruptcy because they simply don't have
the energy to argue.

>> 1. For each horror story you bring to me from Canada, I'll bring 10 more
>> of the current system in the US.
>
> You'd better, just to break even. Population of US is 10 times that of
> Canada.

	That's why picked that figure ;-)

--
When a toast with butter falls from your hand, it always falls on the
butter side.

When a cat falls from a height, it always lands on her feet.

If you tie a buttertoast over a cat with the butterside to the top, and
let both fall, what will face the floor, the butter or the feet?