POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion: OpenCL : Re: Suggestion: OpenCL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: OpenCL
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 14 Aug 2009 16:00:09
Message: <4a85c249@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

I understand perfectly this problems.

> Another possibility is to run the main renderer on the CPU, adding rays
> to queues, and sending any "sufficiently large" queues to the GPU for
> processing. I don't know if bandwidth limitations between the two would
> make this viable...

Exactly, that is why I asked: "Are absolutely sure there isn't a case
where a GPU can help? maybe in the middle of a rendering/parsing?".

As for the bandwidth and memory concerns, from here:
http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=328&threadid=95060&enterthread=y

Q: What are AMD's stream computing product features?

A: AMD's FireStreamtm 9170, our latest generation stream computing GPU,
features:
* 320 stream cores (compute units or ALUs)
* 2GB on-board GDDR3 memory
* Double precision floating point support
* PCIe 2.0 x16 interface
View AMD FireStream 9170 specifications here:
http://ati.amd.com/products/streamprocessor/specs.html

Memory Concern:
--------------
  Maybe would be a good idea to leave the processed data on the video
card  local memory until is needed in Main Memory.

Bandwidth Concern:
-----------------
- M4A78 PLUS MoBo
(http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=758&l4=0&model=2889&modelmenu=1):
# It features dual-channel DDR2 1066 memory support and accelerates data

(http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-key-architectural-features.aspx)
# One 16-bit link at up to 4000MT/s

HyperTransport Generation 3.0 mode
# Up to 37GB/s total delivered processor-to-system bandwidth
(HyperTransport bus + memory bus)

PCIe Card Electromechanical 2.0 Specification
(http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/base2)
# Signaling

PCI Express Base 2.0 specification doubles the interconnect bit rate
from 2.5 GT/s to 5 GT/s in a seamless and compatible manner. The
performance boost to 5 GT/s is by far the most important feature of the
PCI Express 2.0 specifications. It effectively increases the aggregate
bandwidth of a 16-lane link to approximately 16 GB/s.

- Video Card: MD FireStream 9170 (specs above)

As you can see, maybe bandwidth it isn't much of an issue since The
transfer between the PCIe video card and the Main memory can me made at
5 GT/s. Is this still insufficient for POV-Ray peak performance?