POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: clipka
Date: 14 Aug 2009 15:32:43
Message: <4a85bbdb@news.povray.org>
optima schrieb:
> 1- Which value/values below needs to be changed to match the slider?
> 2- Is this the code below right for  higher quality render?
>
>  global_settings {adc_bailout 0.003922

This /could/ be made "slidable".

>  ambient_light <1.0,1.0,1.0>

For high-quality renders you'll want to use radiosity; when using
radiosity, you'll want ambient_light to be 0, unless you've made sure
that all textures have ambient 0 except for those that should appear to
be "glowing".

>  assumed_gamma 1.9

This should always be the same. You should also check whether you really
want to use 1.9, and not 2.2 instead (which is the de-facto standard for
images to be published on the net, for instance).

 >  hf_gray_16 off
>  irid_wavelength <0.247059,0.176471,0.137255>
>  max_intersections 64

Always same.

 >  max_trace_level 10

If you're using a lot of reflective surfaces, you may want to increase
this to, say, 25. Sliding is a good idea.

If you use POV-Ray 3.6 (or even lower) to render, you virtually /must/
set this to a rather high value when using radiosity as well as any
reflective or refractive materials, or you'll inevitably get black
splotches scattered across the room. This problem has been solved in
current 3.7 betas.

>  number_of_waves 10

Keep unchanged.

>  radiosity {brightness 0.3

brightness 1.0 should give more realistic results (at least
theoretically; verifying this is still on my agenda). Doesn't affect
speed, but may have to be tuned to recursion_limit (low recursion_limit
values may need a slightly increased brightness).

>  count 100

You definitely want to increase this as high as 1600 in top-quality
renders. Do use sliding!

 >  distance_maximum 0.0

Never mind this one, this is an obsolete parameter.

>  error_bound 0.4

Good value. No need to slide, normally.

 >  gray_threshold   0.5

Should be reduced as you increase recursion_limit.

>  low_error_factor 0.8

Do use an even lower value, e.g. 0.5, for high quality.

 >  minimum_reuse    0.015

Try lower values for top-quality renders, something like 0.005.

>  nearest_count    6

Another good candidate for sliding. Push it as high as 10.

 >  recursion_limit  1

I'd suggest using 2 or even 3 for top-quality. Slide.

Other radiosity settings you'll want to adjust:

   pretrace_start 0.064
   pretrace_end   0.002

You'll especially want to slide the latter; it should be a multiple-of-2
fraction of pretrace_start. Use something like pretrace_end 0.032 for
low-quality.

   always_sample off

You'll always want this off, as the default setting slows down the
render /and/ leads to artifacts.

   normal on

If your textures use "normal {...}" statements, you want this on for
high-quality renders.

Note that radiosity settings tend to be rather "tweaky"; if you
encounter artifacts, toy around with the settings. Do so for each
quality level you define: The parameters do interact quite significantly.