POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 14:21:30
Message: <4a85ab2a@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         But let's talk about the progressive tax in the reverse direction. Do
> you think rich people should pay _less_ tax than the ordinary person?

  Maybe, if there's a good economical reason to do so. However, I'd say
equal tax % for everybody is a good lower limit (well, as long as that %
is not exorbitant). Rewarding success shouldn't be done at the cost of
punishing poor performance. That's morally daunting.

  I think there are at least some countries where everybody pays the same
percentage of their income as tax. Would be interesting to see how their
economy and well-being is doing.

>         It's all an optimization. Tax too much and things will go downhill.
> Give everyone an equal tax, and it may go downhill there as well.

  Personally I think Finland has gone too far into imposing high taxes to
rich people, and that's one of the reasons why Finland's economy is
suffering (especially during this economic crisis, and probably even more
than other countries).

  It has been proclaimed for decades that Finland needs labor force and,
very especially, entrepreneurs. In other words (even though nobody says
it loud), Finland needs more high-income rich employers. However, how
many people want to come to Finland to create firm with such high taxes?
On the contrary, there's a steady flow of educated experts out of Finland
because here success is punished with exorbitant taxes.

  The solution of Finnish government to all problems seems to be raising
taxes. That just doesn't work in the long run. Finland is going down, I'm
pretty sure of it.

--
                                                          - Warp