POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep? : Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Use bezier_spline shape in a sphere_sweep?
From: CShake
Date: 14 Aug 2009 13:56:18
Message: <4a85a542@news.povray.org>
Hello all,
I'm currently working on a model with a lot of lathe and prism objects,
and I'm using bezier_spline for the outlines because it's much easier to
get the shape right (and I'm familiar with how they work). My question
is that I have a bent strip of plastic (a handle actually) that I have
modeled with a prism, only because there is no method for sweeping an
oval or other shape along a spline (which would be ideal). With this
method, it has sharp edges all along the sides, and I'd like to add a
sphere_sweep along both sides to round it out. Is there any way for me
to add a sphere_sweep with the same path data (bezier), or would I need
to redo the whole thing with a cubic?

On a related note, the b_spline in the sphere_sweep section has no
documentation besides "b_spline : Approximating the input data using a
cubic b-spline function, which results in a curved object.", Unlike all
the other types which have examples in the tutorial section with an
explanation of how each point is used. More than a sentence about it
might help.