POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 13:38:29
Message: <4a85a115@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> I actually miss the days when we could reference certain holidays in
> school. When I was a kid, our public school had a Christmas show every
> year, and we liked it!

  I'm going to sound like an anti-multiculturalist bigot, but I really hate
the multiculturalist dogma that "all cultures are valuable, except our own".
This dogma has gotten so far that it feels like we should be ashamed of our
own culture and our own traidions, while at the same time respecting others'.

  Western multiculturalism is heavily based on self-shame. We should be
ashamed of our own heritage, of our own culture, of our own traidions. We
should hide them from others, while respecting and embracing theirs. It's
heavily based on the ideology that we must never offend others in any way.
The same demand is, naturally, not imposed on those others: They have all
the rights to keep and proclaim their own culture and their own traditions,
and if we raise any objections on them, we are punished with shame (eg. by
being called "racist" and other such denigrating words), and in some cases
even legally.

  It would be absolutely unthinkable for me to go to another country and
start demanding that they rename their festivities and traditions because
I don't agree with their religion and I find it offensive. That would be
complete idiocy. Yet the multiculturalist ideology is preaching that others
who come here have full rights to get offended by our traditions, which is
why we must hide them and change all the "offensive" names.

  Well, I refuse to be ashamed of my heritage and my culture. Not because
I would be especially proud of them, but because I find this self-shame
dogma to be absolutely idiotic.

--
                                                          - Warp