POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 14 Aug 2009 10:33:45
Message: <4a8575c9@news.povray.org>
On 08/14/09 07:59, Warp wrote:
> Mike Raiford<"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hence the "winter break" party, rather than Christmas.
>
>    I really think that is completely ridiculous, completely regardless of
> what one's world view is. The event called "Christmas" is a traditional
> festivity. It's called that because of tradition. Anyone who gets offended
> by an event being called in a certain way is being a huge bigot.

	I often feel that both sides on this tend to exaggerate.

	Scenario: A company/organization wants to have a Christmas party.
However, if they call it Christmas, many people will not show up because
they're not Christians. Note that they won't be *offended*, they'll
simply not want to come. The organizers *want* them to show up and have
fun, so they rename it (or dare I say, rechristen it?). Suddenly,
they're accused of being politically correct when all they wanted was to
have a fun party.

	And the non-Christians are accused of being behind all of this.

	Etc. I think you get my drift.

--
Doctor to patient: Although it's nothing serious, let's keep an eye on
it to make sure it doesn't turn into a major lawsuit.