POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 08:59:59
Message: <4a855fce@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hence the "winter break" party, rather than Christmas.

  I really think that is completely ridiculous, completely regardless of
what one's world view is. The event called "Christmas" is a traditional
festivity. It's called that because of tradition. Anyone who gets offended
by an event being called in a certain way is being a huge bigot.

  Just to put it in perspective: Let's say an American goes for a few months
to Japan on a job assignment, and while there, he gets deeply offended and
loudly complains about some local festivity which might be historically based
eg. on buddhism or shintoism. I don't know how people would regard him there,
but at least here in the west he would be considered a jerk and a moron. It's
their tradition and their custom, and they damn have the right to name their
festivities as they please. We westernes have zero right to go there and
start complaining how some festivity of theirs might be based on buddhism
or whatever. That's just stupid and bigoted.

  Why shouldn't this work in reverse? Why should anyone have the right to
come here and start complaining about some festivity or its naming? If
someone does that, why isn't that someone just a huge jerk and a moron?

  (And by "come here" I don't necessarily mean that someone literally
comes here from another country. People already living here are bound
to the same rules of courtesy and respecting other people.)

--
                                                          - Warp