POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America???s opposition to national health care? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America???s opposition to national health care?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 05:59:03
Message: <4a853566@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   I wonder why. Would it be unfair that *all* people could get health care
> > for free, that rich and poor people would be treated equally?

> Yes, because (the argument goes) "if person x doesn't have to pay for it
> (because they don't have any money), why should I (even though I have
> more than enough)?  person x is just a lazy deadbeat who's stealing *my*
> money!"  :P

  If that's someone's honest opinion, it has one major flaw: Basically the
person is saying that poor people should be left to die because society (in
other words, the citizens of the country) should have no obligation of
keeping poor people alive and healthy. In other words, that poor people
deserve no help from people who can afford helping them.

  While in a completely inhuman and technical society it could make logical
sense to get rid of people who don't contribute positively to the society
(by letting them die), that's not the kind of philosophy civilized society
is founded on. Human rights exist for a reason.

  I think Americans should stop complaining about things like taxes. They
should take a look at Finland, where rich people pay up to 60% of their
income in taxes. And that's not a typo. Americans have it quite easy with
their, what, 20% tax roof? They could well increase that a bit.

--
                                                          - Warp