POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition tonational health care?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 03:49:19
Message: <4a8516ff@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:
> >> but I'm sure there are
> >> people who even think capitalism is the answer to the economic crisis... >_<
> >
> >   I'm not exactly sure why it wouldn't be.

> Maybe because it's exactly this liberal capitalism that got us to where
> we're at right now??

  It's also what got us with free health care, hospitals, free education and
schools, public libraries, free roads for anyone to use, and all this while
maintaining basic human rights and freedom. Well, in most capitalist countries
at least.

  I find it rather amusing that you think that "capitalism caused the
economic crisis", when it was capitalism that caused the economic growth
in the first place. The "economic crisis" is only a recession in relation
to the previous economic growth, which was brought by capitalism. Without
capitalism there would be no "economic crisis" because we would be in a
constant economic recession, probably a much worse one than the current one.

> >   At its core, capitalism is about free commerce, and it's precisely free
> > commerce which keeps the cash flowing.

> At its core, capitalism is also about selfishness, and therefore needs
> to be counterbalanced by some other regulatory mechanisms if it is to
> work for good.

  Selfishness is a side-effect of free commerce, not the core of capitalism.
People are selfish bastards, but it's the people who are to blame about that,
not capitalism itself. People would be selfish regardless of capitalism, and
would abuse any other economic model equally badly.

--
                                                          - Warp